Jun 30, 2011

Mister and Misses Manatee :)


    This is a picture from when my girlfriend and I went down to the Florida Keys.  We stayed in a house adjacent to a saltwater canal and one afternoon while sitting on the porch, we looked out and saw some native Manatee (they're also known as sea cows).  I've always had a hankering to swim with these big docile and wonderful creatures and this was it!  They came close to the docks to check out what was going on and we thew on some masks to get a closer look. Unfortunately because they are endangered and very threatened by human activity (boating, etc), you cannot touch or feed these amazing creatures, so we snapped some beautiful shots of them and it was incredible!
   A silly side story...when I first went to choose a license plate from the DMV, I was presented with something silly like 50 options.  After a moment of hesitation, I remembered how much I had always loved the "Save the Manatee" plate growing up as a kid.  Scanning all the plates on the wall, I finally came across the manatee plate.  There was no question once I saw it.  It read:

No comments:

Post a Comment